OAK SPOKES

ANTIQUE AUTO CLUB

 

Cheyenne, Wyoming

1923 Chandler Model 32 “Royal Dispatch Sport Touring”

CLICK ON THE TOP PICTURE to return to the Member’s Cars page...

     The four passenger Royal Dispatch was first advertised in May 1922 but was shown with a spare tire on the rear of the body. This second version was first shown in August of the same year. It had the dual side mounts positioned high on the sides of the cowl and a trunk rack on the back. There were no running boards; just step-plates and motorcycle-style front fenders with mud flaps, which carried over to the high end sedans. The windshield is a single piece. Wooden artillery wheels were standard with wire wheels or these more expensive disc wheels as options. Two pilot driving lights, the small tool box, the spotlight, the dual horns mounted ahead of the radiator, the trunk, and the windscreen for passengers in the backseat were after-market equipment.  Tires were special order 34 X 5 Goodrich Silvertown Cords, still on the car. The     original side curtains and rods are still under the front seat!  Note, the rear window is in the dog-bone shape of the Chandler logo. By mid-1924, this body design was dropped in favor of a standard two passenger roadster with rumble seat.

     Fredrick Chandler was a top executive for the Lozier Automobile Company when he resigned the first of January 1913 to start his own brand. He enticed three top Lozier engineers and a manager from the sales department to join him and by the end of January, they had a Chandler automobile ready to be tested. The first Chandlers, built in Cleveland, Ohio, were introduced for 1914, promoted high dependability for a medium price. The years of Chandler’s success were keyed on quality and value.

     The sales of Chandlers ballooned through 1924, placing the moniker in the top 7 of all autos produced that year. But, the next four years were hard on the industry and particularly Chandler. By 1928, the company was failing. The Hupp Automobile Company was still strong selling “Hupmobiles”. Needing a bigger factory, Chandler’s huge facility fit the bill. Fred Chandler sold out in late 1928, finishing up with all the leftover Chandler parts by August 1929. At that time, Hupmobile took over the property.

     Chandlers (bodies and motors) were designed and built in-house with very few parts from outside suppliers. Various displacements of the six-cylinder, “L” type (flat head) motors were available over the years.  In 1923, Chandler introduced a hardy, high torque “Six” that was tested on the steep slopes of the country’s tallest mountains. The “Pike’s Peak Motor” is shown above. (In previous years, it was called the “Mountain Motor”). The next year, the company offered as standard equipment, the “Traffic Transmission”, the industries’ first syncromesh gearbox.  In 1928-1929, Chandler offered an in-line eight cylinder engine in a variety of body styles including   a fancy dual-cowl phaeton. Even with all the critical acclaim for the innovations, Chandler’s days were numbered.

     This 1923 “Royal Dispatch Sport Touring” has a 123 inch wheel base and the Pike’s Peak Motor with a displacement of 289 cubic inches (4.7 liters). The bore and stroke are 3.5 by 5 inches! It has a standard shift three-speed transmission with a key-lock function. Wind wings were standard equipment. The design of the car allowed for a two inch lower profile than other models in the stable. The black canvas top appears to be original. This car was last restored in 1962. So, it’s kind of a “barn find”!

     As a note of history, the Chandler company produced a lower priced series of cars of quality called “The Cleveland” for about eight years. It reflected the innovations of the Chandler, but disappeared in 1926.

     This Royal Dispatch is reportedly only one of four remaining world-wide. Rick Ammon and his son, Chote’, own this car and are only the fifth owners since new.

Certified Web Master:  Richard T. Ammon Rick@MarmonLover.com
Copyright 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016  Oak Spokes Antique Auto Club  All Rights Reserved