OAK SPOKES

ANTIQUE AUTO CLUB

 

Cheyenne, Wyoming

1917 Marmon Model 34 Cloverleaf Roadster, the “Emerald Queen”

 

    This unique body style, an official Club Roadster, able to carry 4-passengers, is owned by Rick Ammon and his son, Chote’ (Kō-Tee). Called the Cloverleaf due to its four-leaf clover seating arrangement which also earned the nicknames, the “Chummy” or “Social” Roadster. 

     Entrance to the back seat is through a small isle between the two front “bucket” seats.  Imagine ladies climbing into the backseat wearing a stylish Edwardian dress and an ultra-wide brimmed hat!  There are only two doors, both at the front. The driver-side door opens to the rear.  But the right-side door opens frontward, commonly known as a “suicide door”.  This close-coupled roadster with a trunk, which is integrated into the body, was the first of its kind when introduced by Marmon in 1915 and became very popular with other manufacturers.  Note the lack of exterior door handles, hinges, and louvers on the engine hood for ultra-clean body lines and only two top-bows set far back on each side for better backseat visibility.

    This Marmon, with its 136 inch wheel base, is about 95 percent aluminum.  It has an aluminum body and an aluminum in-line 6 cylinder engine with overhead valves and roller lifters, displacing 340 cubic inches (5.6 liters!). Only the head is of cast iron. It develops about 75 brake horsepower or 34 hp S.A.E., thus the model number.

     Marmon automobiles were built from 1902 through 1933 in Indianapolis. Marmon produced nearly all of its own parts and hand-built all of its open body styles for over twenty years, including this Roadster! See the original manufacture’s oil can mounted onto the cowl for easy availability!

Certified Web Master:  Richard T. Ammon Rick@MarmonLover.com
Copyright 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016  Oak Spokes Antique Auto Club  All Rights Reserved

     A used car “Renewal Program” began in 1920 for dealers to help sell previously owned Marmon trade-ins.  No expense was spared when this 1917 Beauty was fitted with newer Marmon parts from about 1923; updated with larger drum headlights, rare twin side mounts, cowl parking lights, bumpers, a cigarette lighter on the dash, a modified single-piece windshield, and twenty-inch wire wheels used with smaller but wider, safer tires.  No, the alternator was NOT put on in 1923! 

    Bruce S. Williams, the son of the last Marmon Motor Company President G. “Monty” Williams, owned this car and called it the “Emerald Queen”.  More recently, the CEO of the Timken Roller Bearing Company was an owner.  Timken roller bearings were used throughout nearly every model Marmon ever built! 

     Less than a dozen of this Marmon 34 body style (1916 to 1923) are known to be rolling around the world today.

     Recently, the Classic Car Club of America recognized this Marmon Model 34 as a TRUE Full Classic® automobile deemed to be of exceptional design, mechanical quality, or beauty!